Pray for Rain
Dear Families and Friends of St Edmund’s College
During the month of November our Catholic Bishops have asked that we dedicate our prayers to the farmers and communities of drought affected areas of outback Australia who are in desperate need of sustained rain.
In many parts of rural Australia the drought has been the worst in over a hundred years. While there has been intermittent relief for some communities, there is still a great need for more rain. Vast crops have been destroyed and livestock are dying under the weight of horrific drought conditions. In some places dams have literally dried up and water transported in by truck. Livelihoods and communities are at breaking point. They need our prayers.
At home around the table while sharing a meal, at family gatherings, when you are with friends or on your own please take a moment to say a prayer for rain.
I am pleased to make the following staffing appointment announcements for 2020.
Middle Leadership Appointments
• Ms Natalie Henness – Acting Director of Senior School replacing Mr Ben Litchfield (Leave)
• Ms Tara Newlands – Acting Head of Department: English replacing Ms Jean Yates (Leave)
• Mr Jason Randall – Responsible Thinking Classroom Coordinator
- Mr Craig Cronan – Religious Education/English/History/Geography
- Ms Robyn Taylor – Mathematics/Science
- Ms Rachael Campbell – Inclusive Education
- Ms Hashina Tarafdar – Physics/Mathematics/Science/Religious Education
- Mr Christopher Pender - Business/Accounting
School Officer Appointments
• Ms Kerri Jendra – Finance Officer
• Mr Christopher Scott – Information Technology School Officer (commencing November 11, 2019)
• Mr Blake Kirkham - Information Technology School Officer (commencing November 11, 2019)
Please be informed of the following staff who will be leaving the College at the end of the year. We thank them for their outstanding contribution to St Edmund’s College and wish them well in the future.
• Ms Louise Baldry – Family moving interstate
• Mr Anthony Walsh – Casual Relief Teaching
• Mr Sam Sprenger – Currently on leave and accepted a teaching position at Padua College
• Ms Madelyn Hall – Accepted a teaching position at St Laurence’s College
• Mr Matthew Yates - Accepted a teaching position at St Laurence’s College
Teachers on Leave in 2020
The following teachers will be taking leave in 2020
• Mr Ben Litchfield
• Ms Jean Yates
• Ms Paula Turner
• Ms Natasha Teitzel
Industrial Action commences in Queensland Catholic Schools
As stated in a letter sent to all parents and caregivers yesterday please be advised that members of the Queensland Independent Education Union (QIEU) have commenced exercising their legal right to take protected action work bans from Thursday, November 7, 2019.
This will involve Catholic schools across Queensland including St Edmund’s College, Ipswich.
The protected action work bans will include wearing a campaign badge; non-attendance at specific meetings; playground and transport supervision; supervision of cover lessons, except those involving student and staff welfare and/or safety matters. The protected action may also involve an unlimited number of stoppages of work for 30 minutes duration or for a day.
The College has made alternate arrangements to ensure that classes and scheduled activities will continue as usual during this time of industrial action. Should there be any major changes to the normal operations of the school day or planned scheduled activities resulting from the industrial action, parents and caregivers will be notified.
Please be assured that the educational wellbeing and safety of our students is our highest priority.
If you have any concerns please do not hesitate to contact the College.
PHOTO OF THE WEEK
Year 12 - Skool2Skoolies riders on a final training run
O God, in Whom we live and move, and have our being, grant us rain, in due abundance, that, being sufficiently helped with temporal gifts, we may the more confidently seek eternal gifts. Through Christ, our Lord.
Live Jesus in our hearts - Forever
Diarmuid O’Riordan, Principal